Tropical Poisonous House Plants to Beware!
Welcome to My Poisonous house plants page, I hope That this list of poisonous house plants and dangerous plants will be informative and help you identify and protect your family and pets.
They can be very beneficial in our lives but we must avoid them as much as possible or be cautious especially with Small children and animals.
They purify and renew our stale indoor air by filtering out
toxins, pollutants, and the carbon dioxide we exhale - replacing them with life sustaining oxygen.
However, many of our most popular House plants come from tropical climates where the highest percentage of poisonous plants live, that’s why its important to have this list of poisonous house plants and toxic house plants to keep you aware of any dangerous plants you may have in your home or garden..
Toxic houseplants are a problem if you have young kids or pets in the house they accidently eat them, pick their leaves or rub up against them.
Some toxic plants will only cause an annoying skin rash, but others, if ingested, could be deadly to adults, children and our cute little pets.
It's best to know which Poisonous House Plants you should avoid, but if you want to play it safe stick to African Violets, Ferns, Gardenia, Jades, or a nice rubber tree also silk flowers are great too.
Angel's Wings, or also known as Caladium
This is another beautiful and colorful plant that can also found grown outside as well as well.
Ingestion can cause severe irritation to the mouth and throat, can cause the esophagus and may also be an irritant to the G.I. tract causing cramping and or diarrhea.
These extremely beautiful yet poisonous house plants should be dealt with carefully. The main irritant is present in small amounts so large quantities of the bulb that must be eaten to cause symptoms (diarrhea, nausea, vomiting).
Luckily most of us don’t crave the bulb of an Amaryllis! ha
Chewing the bark and roots of these poisonous house plants are said to cause burning of the mouth.
Eczema was developed in some gardeners after repeated exposure and contact with the skin. So use gloves just as a precaution..
This is a one of the toxic house plants that is very common and seen in many of not most households.
This is one of the most common plants seen in most homes today, and given freely as gifts when someone is sick or in the hospital which kind of cracks me up, it doesn’t make sense but that’s because most have no idea of its affects, that’s why I feel its important to get this information out to keep everyone informed and safe. .
Painful and immediate swelling of the mouth and throat occurs after chewing on this very popular plant
The dumb cane has a very distinctive look that is recognizable with big green leaves with whitish lines running through it.
Speech impediment can occur, sometimes lasting for several days.
Avoid eye contact with the juices which can result in intense pain and swelling and itching.
This vine is grown both as an indoor and outdoor ornamental and it has caused poisoning in cattle, dogs, sheep, and humans. Symptoms of ingestion are difficulty in breathing, convulsions, vomiting, paralysis and coma. Funny thing about this is often given as gifts when people are sick or in the hospitals.
Dermatitis is rare but can be severe with weeping blisters which respond slowly to treatment. The berries are very bitter tasting so there is a better chance of animals or children eating these berries at least not a lot at a time.
Hedera helix is originally from Europe and in its native habitat it is a favorite for insects and birds to eat. English ivy is very popular as ornamental plant but this ivy is extremely invasive.
This beautiful and popular house plant, also grown outside, Kaffir lily contains small amounts of the alkaloid lycorine. Large quantities must be ingested to cause symptoms of toxicity. General symptoms of poisoning are collapse, diarrhea, paralysis,
salivation, vomiting. Not fun at all...
It produces a beautiful cluster of large tubular orange flowers with yellow throats. I actually love these flowers when they are in bloom and many of my neighbors have them growing in large amounts. If the flowers are pollinated they each produce a cherry sized, green berry which slowly turns red over many weeks.
Kaffir's are extremely easy to care for plant which tolerates typical household conditions. and are very easy to grow in your garden or patio in pots.
Although good lighting is required for bloom, non-blooming plants are still visually interesting with its thick long, rounded leaves. They divide when they grow making it easy for sharing with friends is easy. No wonder these blooming plants are so popular!
Poinsettia, or Euphorbia pulcherrima
This Beautifully red flower best known at Christmas isn’t as toxic as once thought and is no longer classified as an extremely toxic plant.
Reactions this plant may cause range from, dermatitis from contact with the milky sap to nausea and vomiting if ingested. Avoid contact with the eyes.
But don’t worry it wont kill you like everyone at one time thought.
This Poisonous house plant can cause poisoning in humans and pets because of the oxalates they contain. General symptoms of poisoning are erythematic causing inflammation and red irradiation of the skin and itchiness.
Ingestion of this popular house plant will quickly cause painful burning and swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, and throat.
Oddly enough and this one I just can’t understand but, Philodendrons were among the best house plants in N.A.S.A.'s tests for removing toxins for air purification in the air.
Swiss Cheese Plant
The leaves on the swiss cheese plant can cause problems if chewed by, children or family pets.
Tests were preformed on rats and mice which they died after they were fed plant extracts from these toxic house plants.
The most noticeable symptoms of poisoning are immediate and painful and you will probably loose your voice. Blistering, hoarseness, and irritation of the mouth occur as well. OUCH !!!
Swiss-cheese plant is a popular container plant because of its ability to withstand a large range of conditions encountered in the home and office in the rainforest this plant could withstand neglect as well which makes it popular planted in the gardens too.
Cyclamen, Persian violet (not a violet)
The tuberous rhizomes are bitter and found underground, so children or family pets are unlikely to be exposed to the toxins. Unless they like to dig in dirt, if ingested a vomiting will occur.
Native to the Mediterranean and northeast Africa many species have become endangered due to illegal cultivation. The plant is typically grown as a potted house but also popular grown outdoors in gardens. The most common variety and does not like the cold and prefers warm weather like in its natural habitat.
Angel trumpet plant, Hell's Bells or Moonflower
This Elegant and beautiful tropical yet poisonous house plants which are also a popular garden flower, Angel's trumpet contains alkaloids that have caused poisoning and death in humans and animals.
It has been said that these poisonous house plants, that are really beautiful but are so potent it has been used in suicides and murder.
Children are especially vulnerable to the effects of Atropines and extra caution should be taken with them, the beauty of this flower draws people in to look at them closer unbeknownst to its dangerous affects..
This easily grown house plant is prized for its spectacular tubular flowers, up to 6 inches long, and may also be known as 'thorn apple' because of its spiny fruit.
Datura belongs to a group of plants, along with Deadly Nightshade, Henbane, and Mandrake, collectively known as "Witch's Weeds". It was a well known ingredient in various potions and brews, including the infamous "love potion".
Derek B. Munro
Biological Resources Program
Anthurium Andraeanum, or Flamingo lily
Ingestion usually doen't happen while chewing this flower because
a painful irritation of the mouth and throat. General symptoms of poisoning are blistering, loss of your voice and worst being very difficult to swallow.
Toxic house plants like anthurium plant are a blooming plant that have tiny flowers crowded in a spadix, which is sometimes referred to as a "rat's tail" because it looks like a rats tail coming out form the center of this flower.
These Poisonous house plants, the flamingo lily is readily available at local plant shops Home Depot and Lowe's even sold at grocery stores and is a popular house plant because of its long lasting flowers. Flamingo lilies also have a long vase life and can stay fresh in a flower vase for up to 14 days.
Being from the tropics warmth and humidity are essential elements for your Anthurium plant.
Derek B. Munro
Biological Resources Program
I Hope This Poisonous House Plants Information Has Helped you To Keep Your Family Safe!
Return from Poisonous House Plants back to Tropical House Plants
Return to Tropical Plants Flowers And Decor Home Page